Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

International Students

Each year, students from more than 90 countries enroll at UT.

An international student is someone who will attend college in the United States on a visa (including F-1, J-1, H-4).

In addition to the steps in the transfer application process for domestic students, international undergraduate transfer students must also complete the following steps before attending UT. International students with questions about the requirements of their specific major are also encouraged to talk to an academic advisor for their area of study.

Transfer applicants to the Tickle College of Engineering must meet the minimum requirements listed below. The final admission decision, including admission to your intended major resides with the academic department. The overall record will be evaluated for quality and seriousness of purpose. An excessive number of withdrawals, incompletes, repeated courses, or failures may result in denial.

Applicants must have earned a grade of C or better in each of these specific courses or their equivalent:

  • English I
  • Chemistry or computer science (computer science applicants only)
  • Calculus
  • Any physics course, if taken

Transfer students who are denied admission to the Tickle College of Engineering will still be considered for admission as University Exploratory students. Admission as a University Exploratory student does not allow admission into engineering or the study of engineering classes. Exploratory students will be academically advised by the College of Arts and Sciences until they select an arts and sciences major or another major at UT that is outside the College of Engineering.

English Proficiency

If your native language is not English, and you are not a United States citizen or a permanent resident, you must demonstrate English proficiency. You can demonstrate proficiency through any one of the following methods:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 523 on the paper-based test, 193 on the computer-based test, 70 on the internet-based test (IBT), or 523 on the ITP Plus.UT’s code is 1843.
  • Complete two semesters or three quarters of college-level English composition with a grade of “C” or better at an accredited college or university in the United States;
  • ACT (English sub-score of 21 is required) or SAT (critical reading or EBRW score of 540 is required). Scores must be received from the testing company (copies are not acceptable).
  • (International English Language Testing System) or IELTS Indicator – a minimum score of 6.5.
  • Complete the ELS 112 intensive program.
  • Complete the UT English Language Institute’s (ELI) core intensive curriculum with a recommendation from the ELI faculty.
  • Duolingo – a minimum score of 100 out of 160.2
  • Pearson PTE (Pearson Tests of English) Academic – a minimum score of 53.2
  • Proof of citizenship of a country from the approved list of official English language nations.
  • Approved high school, college, or university transcript validating English was the language of instruction.

1Use for admission and placement, EPE will be required.
2Use for admission, but not placement, ELI 110 placement with option for EPE.

Prospective undergraduate transfer students who meet all admission requirements except for English proficiency requirements will receive a conditional admission to UT. Students who receive this type of admission will be issued an I-20 form for an F-1 visa or change of status by the UT English Language Institute.

Students who receive a conditional admission must meet English proficiency requirements before being admitted to a degree program and before being allowed to enroll in non-ESL courses. Conditionally admitted students who wish to enter the US using UT’s I-20 must enroll in UT’s English Language Institute.

Financial Documentation (F-1 or J-1 visa status)

After an offer of admission is made to you, International Student and Scholar Services will provide information concerning the submission of the International Student Financial Statement Form. It must be completed by every international student who needs an I-20.

If your government is sponsoring you, you must submit an official letter from the government stating that they will cover all expenses during your academic studies at UT. Please consult our list of sponsored student services.

Passport Copy

You must submit a copy of the photo page of your international passport. This copy must be submitted along with your financial documentation, if it was not submitted with your application for admission.

Visa Application

Apply for the appropriate United States visa. Read tips on student visas from the US Department of State.