Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Out-of-State Students

Students transferring from out-of-state institutions are encouraged to review our major guides.

Major guides provide an overview of every available major with a sample eight-semester academic plan. This plan will allow you to see the courses required to complete the major and review course descriptions. This information should help you determine how your earned credits fit within your desired major. If you are still taking classes at your current institution, we encourage you to compare the course description of your current courses to those required for your major at UT.

Students taking classes at an out-of-state community college are encouraged to concentrate on the 100 and 200 level courses listed in the major guides. These are the courses most likely to transfer directly from your community college to UT. Many of these courses are listed in the first four semesters of the eight-semester academic plans.

Students at out-of-state four-year institutions should be aware that the courses required by their college or university may differ from those required to complete their desired major at UT. Students are encouraged to keep syllabi for courses listed on their institution’s equivalency table as LD or UD elective credit. This information will be necessary if the student should want to petition those courses for equivalent academic credit. For more information, see Evaluation of Course Credit.

Course equivalency tables are available for out-of-state community colleges and universities.