Skip to content Skip to main navigation Report an accessibility issue

Tennessee Residents

Students at Tennessee Community Colleges

Guaranteed Admissions

Students who earn an Associates of Arts (AA), Associates of Science (AS), Associates of Fine Arts (AFA) or an Associates of Science in Teaching (AST) from a regionally accredited community college and have a minimum cumulative 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) in transferable academic-level coursework are guaranteed admission to non-competitive majors at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. Students applying to competitive majors such as Engineering, Nursing, Architecture, or Kinesiology, Online Bachelor of Social Work, College of Music, or Teacher Preparation Program must meet all prerequisite requirements and be reviewed by the department before an offer of admission can be made.

Undergraduate Admissions utilizes a holistic application review considering all parts of the transfer student’s academic record. This includes the applications of students who have a cumulative transfer GPA of less than 3.0, have not earned an associate’s degree, or have earned an Associates of Applied Science (AAS). We are committed to reviewing all transfer applications for admission. Students are encouraged to include personal statements and any other documentation students feel will strengthen their application in addition to their academic coursework.

Tennessee Transfer Pathways

The State of Tennessee articulates transfer pathways that help students transfer from a Tennessee community college to a four-year institution. Students using these pathways are encouraged to keep in mind that these are general pathways intended to allow transfer to multiple institutions, but may not cover all of the course work needed by the accepting institution. Exceptions for course work are noted on the pathway by an asterisk.

Any questions regarding how certain courses on these pathways may transfer should be directed to the UT Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Course Equivalency Tables

Many questions related to how courses may transfer from Tennessee community colleges can be answered by reviewing the information provided in our course equivalency tables.

Tables have been developed for each of Tennessee’s community colleges to provide students with information on how courses from the community college transfer to UT.

Students at Tennessee Four-year Institutions

Students transferring from a four-year institution in the state of Tennessee are encouraged to review the Undergraduate Catalog.

The Undergraduate Catalog includes an overview of every available major with a sample eight-semester academic plan. This plan will allow you to see the courses required to complete the major and review course descriptions. This information should help you determine how your earned credits fit within your desired major. If you are still taking classes at your current institution, we encourage you to compare the course description of your current courses to those required for your major at UT.

Course Equivalency Tables

Many questions related to how courses may transfer from four-year institutions in the state of Tennessee can be answered by reviewing the information provided in our course equivalency tables.

Students are encouraged to keep syllabi for courses listed on their institution’s equivalency table as LD or UD elective credit. This information will be necessary if the student should want to petition those courses for equivalent academic credit. For more information, see Evaluation of Course Credit.